In today’s technology rich environments, eyes are continuously fixed on the computer monitor during the day and smartphones or other hand-held devices after hours. This constant strain and stress on the eyes can give rise to vision problems have given rise to eye problems. Fortunately, a series of simple exercises can restore your eye fitness.
Whether you use these suggested eye exercises or download an app that guides you through other activities to give your eyes a rest and keep them in fighting shape, benefits of eye fitness include:
- Improvements to general vision
- Lower risk of developing eye diseases
- Lower incidence of dry eyes
- Reduction in eye strain
- Improvement in concentration
- Boost to peripheral vision
Exercise your eyes
- Relax your eye muscles by placing your hands together palm to palm and rub them together briskly to warm them up. Place your palms gently over your eyes and allow your eyes to relax. Do not let light in. Do this whenever you have time during the day.
- Before going to sleep, massage your eye lids and eye muscles by gently rubbing your finger in a circular direction for at least two minutes. Massaging your eyes can help to relax your eye muscles.
- Constantly blinking your eyes is a very simple way to keep your eyes fresh and avoid eyestrain. Computer users should blink every three to four seconds.
- During the day take eye breaks from the computer and change your range of vision by focusing your eyes on an object that is far away and looking back at a nearby object. Repeat this transition several times.
- Without moving your head, switch your vision to look to the left and to the right. You can do this by simply looking to each side or by following a pen or pencil as you move it from the center to the side, back to the center and the to the other side.
While exercising your eyes can help you stay fit, remember that regular exam with a professional are recommended.