New structures and staff in new positions greet the new school year
The Teaching and Learning division shifted its organizational structure to create a more systematic approach to meeting student, parents and staff needs.
- Shannon Trejo was named deputy chief of Academics.
- Assistant Superintendent for Special Populations Elizabeth Casas will lead programs for special populations, which include dual language and special education services and dyslexia/504, with Michelle Brown serving as executive director, advanced academics, social emotional learning and special education auxiliary services, led by Executive Director Juany Valdespino-Gaytan
- Language, Literacy and Social Studies responsibilities shifted resulting in a move from an assistant superintendent to an executive director level (currently vacant). This position will oversee reading language arts (3-12), social studies (3-12), world languages (K-12), and multi-tiered systems of support
- An assistant superintendent overseeing STEM, computer science, CTE and career institutes was established. Oswaldo Alvarenga will serve in that capacity.
Other staff changes/promotions
- Silvia Salinas was named executive director of the Athletics Department.
- John Lawton is the new chief of police for Dallas ISD
- Marlon Shears was selected as the new deputy chief technology officer