Help is available
Because Dallas ISD offers free meals to all its students, all families are eligible to receive the Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT), a one-time benefit provided by the State of Texas for eligible families to buy food.
- Children up to 21 years old who are certified for free or reduced-price meals at school in Texas during the 2020-2021 school year.
- Children 5-18 years old who received SNAP food benefits for at least one month between October 2020 and June 2021.
- Children who attend a school that offers free meals to all students, such as Dallas ISD schools
Texas Health and Human Services will put funds in the Lone Star Card accounts of families who get SNAP benefits and whose children are approved for P-EBT. Families who are approved after submitting the application will receive a P-EBT card loaded with benefits from Health and Human Services.
Enrolled students (up to 21 years of age) in families that temporarily lost access to free or reduced-price school meals for the 2020–2021 school year due to the COVID-19 pandemic may be eligible to receive P-EBT. These benefits can be used to buy food from any retailer that accepts the Lone Star Card.
The application for P-EBT opened June 2, 2021. Go to yourtexasbenefits.com/Learn/PEBT to apply. The application link is case-sensitive. The deadline to apply is Aug. 13, 2021.
Who Needs to Apply?
- A parent/guardian must apply if eligible child is:
- Enrolled in K-12 and NOT part of a family who received SNAP benefits for at least one month between August 2020 and June 2021.
- Born on or before Aug. 1, 2014, and part of a family who received SNAP benefits for the first time during the 2020–2021 school year in May or June 2021.
- A parent/guardian does not have to apply if eligible child is:
- Born on or before Aug. 1, 2014, and part of a family who received SNAP benefits for at least one month between August 2020 and April 2021.
- Born after Aug. 1, 2014, and part of a family who received SNAP benefits for at least one month between October 2020 and June 2021.
For more information about eligibility, applying and getting your P-EBT benefits, visit hhs.texas.gov/pebt, or call the P-EBT call center at 833-442-1255, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.